Research consistently shows that the following contribute to most back complaints:
- poor posture
- sitting for extended periods of time
- sitting hunched over
- poor bending and lifting mechanics
- planting the garden
- working too long at the computer
- shoveling snow
Over time most bodies develop a muscle imbalance where some muscles get too tight (low back & hips) and some get too weak (abdominals, gluteus). When we respectively use or "overuse" our spine, stress is placed on our discs, ligaments, tendons and our muscles which causes back pain.
"I threw my back out and I don't know why"
"My disc slipped out and I laid in bed all weekend"
"I bent over and received a jolting pain"
- Muscle strains/ligament sprains in the low back area (annulus fibrosis tear)
- Bulging or herniated disc (discognent pain)
- Facet joint dysfunctions
- Arthritis (Spondylosis or foraminal narrowing)
Along with skilled manual therapy, individualized stretching and strengthening and patient education, we may incorporate methods such as electric stimulation, heat or ice and traction.
Our goal is to quickly restore your function, relieve your pain and get you back to your favorite activities.
Since 1994 our evidenced based approach has helped thousands of West Michigan patients get back to their lives and on their way to a healthy, happy spine.
Contact Us for help relieving your back pain.